[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Will the real Bob Floyd please stand up

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Friday, 10 March 2017, at 2:32 a.m.

In Response To: Calculation (Timothy Chow)

Money Game
Blue on roll. Cube action?
White110

Blue103
GNUBg Id: 2zYSoEDbNpJAQA:cAkAAAAAAAAA
XGID=aBBBBBaaA-A-A--a-aA-bbbbbA:0:0:1:00:0:0:0:0:10

Well, let's take a look at Bob Floyd's position.

Where did you find this position? The position that I referred to as "Bob Floyd's position" was copied from here. I rolled out both sides of that position here, and if it will save you time, note that I captioned the diagrams with a sequence with Blue playing first in the opening position that is perfectly played (according to XGR++).

I don't have a bot with me, but White must have just rolled something like 61 from the bar, hitting. The position is certainly legal, because for example Blue's previous roll could have been 62, played 12/6* 10/8. Now, I guess that in that case, Blue should have instead played 12/6*/4. Still, I doubt that using such weak bounds, we can rule out 12/6* 10/8 as a candidate.

If we wind back further, White again entered a single checker from the bar with 61, and before that Blue entered a checker from the bar with 61, played bar/19/18*. White's roll before that might have been 44, played 18/10 16/8; again, maybe not "best" but I doubt it can be proved to be not best. The position is looking more and more normal now and I don't think it will be hard to rewind it further.

In your first sentence, you seem to state that White could have played bar/18*, but that could not have happened because White still has a checker on the bar. Possibly you meant that White entered with a 6 and fanned with the other checker (apparently with a 1, though not relevant), but if that's the case I'm surprised you didn't say it that way, to clearly convey your meaning.

I can help you figure out a legal way to reach this position, but first I wanted to see if it's necessary. Was this position really created by Bob Floyd, or do they all look alike to you? :)

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.