[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Adjusting AtO--Just the opposite for me

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Monday, 27 March 2017, at 2:45 p.m.

In Response To: Adjusting AtO (Stick)

Not only do I have to pay the same entry fee as you and other Giants, but you also adjust your game to take advantage of me. Not fair!

But we all know that with a little luck I can beat you, but I also don't just rely on luck, and like you, I would rather win than just show a lower PR.

So like you, I adjust my game, and how I do it is pretty obvious. I do the opposite of what you do. I cube volatile positions faster and take deeper.I make some big gambles with checker plays at critical points in the match where, if I get away with it, I can snooker you. Yes, I know that in the "long run" that will cost me, but it's my best chance against a Giant.

I beat you (and Mochy) in Vegas, and in Cleveland I managed to be O'Hagan and Dmitriy. And the luck factors were not all that outrageous.

And yes, it doesn't always work. I lost to Marty Storer in Cleveland, but I took a hell of a shot. He gave me a 4 cube, which I took and immediately turned to an 8 cube for DMP. I knew I needed about 12 percent to take, as I would have been at 8away/2away if I passed. And I knew it was a big pass, but I took and almost won the match.

Now, had I known that I only had 7.5% in that position, I probably would have passed, but what if I had 9 percent or 10 percent. There is some number where, given our skill differences, I would have been right to take. and even at 7.5% I still don't think I gave away that much equity to a player like Marty.

Now, the real question is this: in the long run, how much better would you do against "average" open players than someone who doesn't change his game much and always plays at the lower PR's?

I believe Falafel, Victor, and Mochy and Michy don't change their game that much for lower players. Do you have a better W/L record than they do against 5+ PR Players? It would be interesting to see.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.