[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

New 2018 rules used in Silicon Valley and rulings

Posted By: Art Grater
Date: Tuesday, 5 September 2017, at 10:09 p.m.

In Response To: New 2018 rules used in Silicon Valley and rulings (Stick)

One of my matches used 2/3 of those 3 rulings. My observations:

1. I am surprised there was only one other dispute.

2. My opponent and I were, I believe, equally puzzled by whether the rolls were valid. (We were puzzled; it really wasn't a dispute.) I think it was a coincidence that we were 2 out of 3. Ken and Patrick were very helpful in explaining why they ruled as they did (one valid, one not).

3. To my surprise, I adapted to the rule pretty easily. I only had dice-on-checkers a couple of other times during the weekend (I lasted 9 matches in the Main).

4. Timewise, the rule makes no sense. Much, much, much faster to re-roll. Each time there was an issue, 5 people were involved. Me, my opponent, Ken, Patrick, and whoever Patrick might have been playing. This might be a good rule for a chouette, but not for a tournament IMO. The only saving grace could be if they keep this rule long enough, maybe we'll be able to self rule better. Maybe not.

5. The few times my dice landed solidly on checkers, there was an initial, instinctual sigh of relief, immediately followed by the realization that the horrific roll was valid after all.

6. Did the clock dispute involve something specific about the new rules? It seems like it was a run-of-the-mill clock fight.

7. Ken, Judy and staff did a great job. I also liked the Swiss format.

8. I forgot to give Ken a deposit for next year.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.