[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Paul Magriel

Posted By: Coolrey
Date: Wednesday, 7 March 2018, at 5:56 p.m.

In Response To: Paul Magriel (MishyPoo)

Paul lived here in Vegas but rarely came to play at our club. None of us knows the circumstances surrounding his death or if there were any funeral arrangements. One of our long time members works for a mortuary employee and may know something. I will talk to him.

Meanwhile, I will share a story:

Recently I bumped into Paul on my way to the LA tournament. He called me over at the gate our airplane was flying out of. He was excited, and explained a great game we could play while we waited. He produced a magnetic set and proposed a way to think up random numbers in our heads. His idea was to play ten moves exactly and the winner would be decided by PR evaluation on XG. I downloaded a dice rolling app and we used that to do the rolling.

Paul was beating me after 3 moves till he made a whopper of some kind and we were close until about move 7 when he bumped the board accidentally and it fell to the floor, magnetic checkers all over the place. I crawled around and picked them up and it was time to fly. Our PRs became moot due to a recording error... But I would have to say that I won. NOT because I had a lower PR but because this great man was so approachable to all players. He shared his time willingly and his energy was that of a twenty year old addicted to a new action game, rather than that of a seventy year old man.

He was not pretentious but I guess he was a little absent minded towards the end. The next morning I saw him at the front desk checking the lost and found. Paul had lost his phone. Most people surgically attach those to our hands now... He never found the phone. Aaron Foust and I took him to breakfast. Aaron is an intermediate player from our Vegas club and a total backgammon addict. Paul sensed this and turned breakfast and the resulting weekend into a fantastic lesson/experience for Aaron. That lesson cost only the price of breakfast and to be sure Paul protested when I offered to pay but I insisted.

Thanks Paul Magriel, RIP sir. I am sure I speak for the community as a whole, many of whom have had similar experiences with you...

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.