[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Ruling from Chicago

Posted By: Terje Pedersen
Date: Wednesday, 30 May 2018, at 8:21 a.m.

In Response To: Ruling from Chicago (Kyle B.)

Hi!

Amazing that this was deemed a valid roll!

I'm not sure about the US backgammon rules but checking the EUBGF rules:

"As the dice are being rolled they should not touch the player’s hand and the cup should not touch the board. The dice must roll freely and come to rest lying flat on the playing surface of the board to the roller’s right of the bar. If this is not the case, the roll is deemed invalid and must be retaken. "

Did it touch the player's hand (in this case the other player's hand)? Yes.

In this case did the dice roll freely? Clearly not.

Checking the US Rules:

"When using a cup, the dice shall be vigorously shaken at least twice up and down and rolled together freely on the right-hand side of the bar from a minimum height of 2.5cm/1”. Dice must never be manipulated."

"..and rolled together freely on the right-hand side of the bar..". It was no longer rolled freely or inside the right-hand side of the bar so fail on both accounts here.

If you hit the dice back onto the board it was manipulated in the sense that the trajectory was altered. So fail on "Dice must never be manipulated." too.

I would define "freely" as "without interference" which could also help guide you to the correct conclusion.

Could you read the same rules and come to a different conclusion? Surprise me! :-)

Best regards,
TP

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.