[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Ruling from Chicago

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Wednesday, 30 May 2018, at 3:43 p.m.

In Response To: Ruling from Chicago (Florin Popa)

Florin, you are right. It is very unlikely that someone can see the one die and then decide whether to swat the other back on the board. That is a very minor point.

The major point is that the dice was clearly off the table and the only reason the second dice was on the table was an intentional act of the other player, and his act was not intended to do anything but stop the dice from flying away on to the floor. It is a natural, and very common reaction when you see the dice go flying by you... I have often caught the dice or hit it or stopped it myself over the years (not lately because we always use a baffle box now).

No way in hell should that roll have counted.

That doesn't mean Rory did a bad thing, or that the opponent did a bad thing, it means that even well-intentioned people make mistakes, especially when we cannot possibly write rules that specifically cover every possible thing that can happen.

Yes, there are gray areas. If someone rolls the dice hard and it hits my hand or my chest or even my face and then lands on the board, that roll, according to the rules, is a valid roll. There was accidental contact. But reaching for the dice to catch it after it is well past the board is clearly not accidental.

Perhaps a better rule would be that if the dice come in contact with any part of an opponent's body, the roll is invalid. That would stop all arguments. And if an opponent intentionally left his hand or any part of his body inside the confines of the board, and his opponent clearly did not fast roll, then there should be some kind of penalty (like giving the roller the option of keeping the roll or rolling over.)

But under the current rules, that roll was clearly not a legal roll and should not have counted. If I were the one rolling and had rolled either a good roll or a bad roll, I would have simply thanked my opponent for catching the dice and rolled over.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.