[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Ruling from Chicago

Posted By: Albert Steg
Date: Wednesday, 30 May 2018, at 8:48 p.m.

In Response To: Ruling from Chicago (Michael G)

Mike I don't know about you but I've been playing for many years, dice flying over the edge and bouncing it back on the board to prevent it going on the floor has happened hundreds of times if not thousands in my experience. No one EVER treated that as a legal roll that I remember whether it be a money game, tournament or for fun. So let's get real he IS a bad guy for following the rules.

Whoa whoa whoa! What if a player has been playing in a different milieu where the tradition is different? In our Boston chouette rules, we have:

16: A deliberate roll of the dice that results in the dice landing flat on the proper side of the board will stand even if the dice touch the opponent’s hand or other extraneous objects on the way.

I don't really have an opinion about what the USBGF rules ought to be, and I'm happy to adhere to whatever they are, and might even advocate changing our local rules to bring them in line with those of the wider community.

But I think making a negative moral inference about a person who merely asks for an official ruling is extremely unfair. This has been done with regard to other rules (legal moves for instance) and has been very damaging. Apparently, since the ruling was that the roll was valid, your understanding of what is proper is not nearly as universal as you suggest.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.