[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

From the mouth of the Director...after watching the video

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Thursday, 31 May 2018, at 1:20 a.m.

In Response To: From the mouth of the Director... (Bill Calton)

I watched the video and while you cannot see Allen's hand, it is clear that the dice was well off the board and there was even a delay as Allen knocked the dice back on to the board. I stand by my believe that this roll should not count.

I did not ever and would not ever say that the roller (you) took a shot or did anything unsportsmanlike. I would have simply rolled over because of my understanding and interpretation of the ruling, but I cannot and will not judge others by my personal standards. And I think it is terribly wrong and unfair for anyone to suggest you were not being proper. In your mind, you thought the roll was legal, and obviously others, including Rory, thought so too, and when you and Allen disagreed, calling for a ruling is the right thing to do.

I believe if Rory or a tournament committee had looked at the video they would be more convinced than ever that the roll was over and Allen was just returning a die that was off the board.

I think Allen was a hell of a good sport for not asking for a ruling committee which, hopefully, would review the video and make a decision. I know I would have asked for a committee if I were in Allen's place.

The idea of a my opponent's checker going off the board and into my lap or hand and I catch it and toss it back on being a legal roll is, to me, ludicrous.

Having said that I have had several very bad rulings go against me (and friends) over the years, and one simply has to live with it. AT THE TIME. I choose to fight to get rules changed, and I became the first chairman of the USBGF Rules Committee. We greatly improved the rules, but at the time Bill Davis still had complete and total authority over the ABT so the board was not in favor of supporting our recommendations.

Years later, the USBGF still did not act and that is when Jeb and Chuck and I did, and I am very happy to say the the current leadership of the USBGF understands its responsibility to the players to create good rules. We don't all agree with all the rules they have created, but I greatly respect their efforts (except they are trying to create their own rule independent of the rest of the federations around the world, which I have NEVER heard a logical reason for).

Bottom line, whether the ruling was right or fair or not, I saw or heard nothing to point to any poor sportsmanship from either player. That kind of talk should be off the table.

And I am confident that Rory acted in good conscience, even though I completely disagree with his approach and his ruling.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.