[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

From the mouth of the Director...

Posted By: neilkaz
Date: Thursday, 31 May 2018, at 6:18 p.m.

In Response To: From the mouth of the Director... (Rory)

TBH I have played tourney and club BG for over 40 years and have never seen the specific instance of a die being batted back onto the proper playing surface. I have been on both sides of having the dice bounce off me or my opp and end up on the proper side of the board. These were always accidental as the dice bounced off the player and while the player may have flinched a bit sometimes, there was no attempt by the player(s) to influence the path of the dice. Much of the time, as per US historical precedent we counted the "bounced" die as good.

Rory's ruling is based upon "To be valid, a die must come to rest on the playing field or checkers on the same side of the bar as rolled." from the current USBGF rules and upon historical precedent.

My disagreement with his ruling is now based on video which implies that the die while close to the playing surface had clearly gone out and was batted back on by intended movement (not inadvertent movement) of the player's hand. To me, the player (I wish the video showed more but we have his verbal explanation) clearly intended to try to prevent a die that had flown off the board from going further away and likely landing on the floor. Had the die simply bounced off the player I'd agree with Rory's ruling based on historical precedent.

As a member of the rules committee I will do everything in my power to get the rule changed for 2019 and beyond so that when a die leaves the playing surface (perimeter of the board) it is dead and the roll doesn't count! This will remove all sorts of possible ambiguities.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.