[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

From the mouth of the Director...

Posted By: Colin Owen
Date: Saturday, 2 June 2018, at 12:40 a.m.

In Response To: From the mouth of the Director... (neilkaz)

I couldn't access the video at first but, having now seen it a few times - and I'm sorry if this upsets anyone (and it's certainly not intended to) - I can honestly say that I felt a bit queasy.

Anyway, when I sent a number of Rules proposals to the UKBGF/EUBGF a couple of years back I added this at the end:

" Miscellaneous Rules​ ​

Two, similar, rare situations come to mind. The only Rules that I am aware of that address such scenarios are BIBA's:

4.0 Play Of The Game / Irregularities

4.2 Rolls (extract):

​If any dice are projected off the board (including during the First Roll) and subsequently land back on the board or come into contact with anything other than the board itself then the entire roll (or die on First Roll) shall be deemed invalid and both dice (or the one die) must be rolled again.

This can happen in two ways; the BIBA rule covers both eventualities. A die could miss the table, bounce off a glass, for example, and land back on the board; I've known it to happen. Also, on a couple of occasions I have seen a die drop out of the cup when being thrown, bounce once on the table and thence onto the board! If either occurred, perhaps at a critical point in a crucial match, it might be preferable to have a rule that addresses it, rather than a TD having to decide - once again - under Rule 1.1. Both instances would be invalid under BIBA Rules. I have not proposed a draft here, I merely suggest that the board might consider one should be written, possibly under Rule 4.1 (iv). "

Their eventual response was:

" 11. CONTACT WITH OTHER OBJECTS: Our view is that as long as an alien object does not move or if it does move it is not moving for the purpose of affecting the relevant die in any way, then it is a valid roll. Accordingly, hitting a lampshade would be valid as would hitting a neighbour's arm. It would be invalid if the neighbour's arm moved in order to attempt to capture the die or to otherwise purposefully impede its otherwise natural progress.

Accordingly, we believe that the Rules as they stand cover the position because for a valid roll the dice must roll 'freely'. Hitting other objects doesn't mean that they are not rolling freely whereas if an attempt is actually made to impede the progress of the dice then that is not allowing them to roll 'freely'. "

Surely though, if you want to remove grey areas, the BIBA rule is best?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.