[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Headphones

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Sunday, 17 June 2018, at 8:32 p.m.

In Response To: Headphones (bluedice)

Just about all rules that we inject into this game solely for the purpose of preventing cheating is, in my opinion, unnecessary, draconian, insulting, unnecessary. It is an insult to the players and to the game, and usually unnecessary. Also, the more things you do to prevent the possibility of cheating the less enjoyable the game because of all of those restriction.

And, they don't help. A cheater will always find ways to cheat.

I am not naive by a long shot. I know that if we make it really easy to cheat, more people will cheat. And I know that we should not look the other way or condone cheating....just the opposite...if we catch a cheater he should be banned from all tournament play for at least a year and go on a list for all tournament directors around the world to see. (We don't do this because often it is hard to prove someone cheated and unless we have irrefutable evidence, we could be sued for libel or slander for creating such a list.)

So, yes, I don't want to make it easy to cheat, but to stop people from enjoying headphones because someone might cheat and deprive those people who enjoy headphones is draconian.

If you want to be sure no one cheats, then no one should be allowed to roll their own dice. That would stop people for putting in loaded dice or setting the dice funny. So a neutral, appointed dice roller should be assigned. And what about people who move the checkers illegally in their own favor? We need to have someone move the checkers for the players.

What if someone is signaling their friend that they should double? We should put all games in private rooms so there is no chance for outside communication.

If a match is streamed, or there are spectators, people could get help by having a phone or other device in their pocket that vibrates when someone tells them to double. So everyone should have to play naked.

I think we would all rather take the risk that once in a great while someone might cheat than go to these lengths.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.