[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Hypergammon 8pt vs 1pt puzzle --

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Monday, 9 July 2018, at 3:35 p.m.

In Response To: Hypergammon 8pt vs 1pt puzzle -- (Tom Keith)

I think it's a matter of (a) reasoning out more or less what has to happen to reach the target position, (b) dividing the goal into possible sub-goal scenarios, then (c) working out the execution from both ends (backwards and forwards) and meeting them somewhere in between. Of course, one needs to learn (or in my case, develop) techniques for (c).

I've made a few efforts here to explain the process, for example to and from the original Smith-Jones (FARE) position here and here, and although I've had encouragement from Casper and a couple others I don't sense bgonline has a wide audience for retroanalysis. Otherwise, I would have posted a detailed explanation of the "$200 challenge" sequence (see caption), where it is provably necessary to break the 6pt and remake it later. Granted, such expositions are not exactly light reading, even with a parallel storyline or munificent insertion of humor.

I find the most rewarding moments involve finding a shortcut or only-way by accident or through some flash of insight, such as White's double 1s play about two-thirds of the way down the first link above. Without it, I probably would have had to explain away earlier cube action or resort to an asymmetrical FARE position.

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.