[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Pro/Am Triples in Jamaica

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Monday, 1 October 2018, at 12:34 p.m.

I ran this triples event a few years ago in Chicago and it was really fun. We will have several days in Jamaica where we plan to run side events and tournaments before and after the main event, and this is one on the menu. (We will also have lots of poker, ping pong, tennis, PaskoGammon and BluffGammon and Chouettes.)

I am posting it here to get any suggestions but also because I would like more people to know about this event and consider running it elsewhere....I think it is a lot more fun than traditional doubles for many reasons, but mostly because all players have an important role to play on the team and you still get help and advice from a pro.

PRO/AM TRIPLES Three-man teams, consisting of a Pro and two Amateurs.

The three players sit side-by-side with the pro in the middle, across from the other team.

Each player plays a 5-point match against his opponent. All three play at the same time. The team who wins 2 out of 3 wins the match.

Each amateur may ask the pro advice on two checker plays per game, one before the cube and one after. If it is a Crawford game, DMP, or 2away/2away, then they can ask the pro about two moves per game any time. The amateur MUST ASK the pro for advice, the pro must never indicate to the amateur that he would like to advise.

Each amateur may ask the pro about giving the cube one time per game. Any time you are offered the cube, the pro decides for the team. Any time the pro gives advice, the amateur must take the advice.

All matches will be clocked, and the clock will run while the pro is asked (but the Pro’s clock will stop for his game).

Between games all clocks can stop for up to 1 minute and the pro can offer cube or checker strategy advice to his teammates to apply to the upcoming game. Clocks will be 10 min with 12 second delay.

Team Selection: The Tournament Director determines which 1/3 of all players shall be designated as a Pro. The team pairings will simply be a random draw.

There will be an entry fee of $400 per Amateur and $300 per Pro ($1100 per team). Prize money will be split evenly between the three players. In the final match, the winning team will get all of the prize money if they win all three matches, but if they win 2 out of 3, they will get 2/3 of the prize money and second place will win 1/3. (Depending on time available, the TD may determine to make the finals 7 point matches instead of 5.)

Currently signed up for Jamaica are the following players who would be designated as pros:

John O’Hagan Ed O’Laughlin Perry Gartner Jim Pasko Joe Russell Dirk Schiemann Frank Talbot Chris Trencher Bob Wachtel

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.