[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

OT - World Chess Championship 2018

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Friday, 8 March 2019, at 12:17 a.m.

In Response To: OT - World Chess Championship 2018 (Stick)

It's true that FIDE's rules officially allow a range of time controls to count towards the official FIDE rapid rating, but for elite players like Caruana, in practice "rapid" usually means the same time controls as in the first four games of the world championship tiebreak. That's the de facto standard for most elite events.

I'm not sure of exactly what games contributed to Caruana's rating gain, but I do know that his strong showing in the recent Champions Showdown was a significant factor. His opposition in that event was similar to the opposition that he usually faces—i.e., other elite players.

My point is that the Elo rating difference has to be taken with a large grain of salt. The fact that Caruana was able to gain so many rating points in such a short period of time shows that (1) there's a lot of variance in the rapid rating and (2) Caruana was probably working hard on his rapid game in preparation for the world championship and his official rating at the time of the world championship probably had not caught up with his true strength.

As for Carlsen's decision in game 12, I still think that he cashed when he was too good, and he should have played on for a few more moves. The end result would probably have been the same (i.e., cashing a few moves later) but that still doesn't mean that he wasn't TG at the moment he decided to cash.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.