[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Father of the doubling cube?

Posted By: Vic Morawski
Date: Tuesday, 18 November 2008, at 5:04 a.m.

In Response To: Father of the doubling cube? (KenB)

It is interesting to me that John Longacre mentions a single person as the inventor of doubling in his article and yet tends to speak of the inventors of doubling in the plural in his book, as I point out in my own article on this subject where I said: Again, if this were the case then we might imagine that perhaps several persons, not just one single person, noticed that doubling could be extended to mid-game situations in this way and so there would be no one person who invented the practice as '70s books have suggested. Longacre in fact speaks of those who initiated the practice of voluntary mid-game doubling in the plural:

"Within recent years, some of its devotees, appreciating the present-day urge to inject a financial interest into everything, realized that this game ... was eminently adaptable to this modern requirement. They thereupon evolved what is known as the 'Doubling Game.'" (Backgammon of Today, pp. 4-5, boldface mine). http://www.bkgm.com/articles/Morawski/30sUnderstandingOfDoubling.html Vic

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.