[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Match Recording - 2010 Pittsburgh ABT - Other Thoughts

Posted By: Robert Maier
Date: Tuesday, 5 May 2009, at 12:29 a.m.

The following policy, or something very close, will be part of the CoC for the 2010 Pittsburgh ABT event.

“All participants shall be permitted to record their matches, either by use of video camera, written record made by a 3rd party or other method(s), unless the staff determines that such other methods are overly distracting (by inference, it is my opinion that most video cameras and written recordings are not overly distracting). No player will be permitted to forbid such recording under any circumstances, including but not limited to a disagreement as to whether or not a copy of the match will be made available to them or to the public at large.

The director may, on his own initiative/expense, choose to record matches, including but not limited to the finals of the main events. Such recordings will be made publicly available as soon as is feasible.”

Just as using clocks prevents certain irregularities, which makes mandating their use all the more reasonable, similar arguments can be made for having the desire to record a match trump the desire to not have a match recorded. The possibility of two players disagreeing on what the original position is for a particular play always exists. One only needs to consider that without recordings or witnesses, a director may be forced to decide between the two competing opinions by the roll of a high die to conclude that match recording is desirable. I am admittedly a stubborn sort, but even if this were the only reason to allow recording, in my mind it would outweigh any objection. At my tournament in Pittsburgh this past February, I had two players come to the draw sheet, about 5 minutes apart, claiming to have won the same match. No, really, it happened. At one point, I was going to have to settle that dispute with the roll of a high die. I am happy to report that it didn't come to that, but it wasn't because a better idea sprang forth. Let's not forget either, that there are still some folks in the world that aren't above attempting to acquire an advantage in an other-than-legal manner. That probably occurs less when the camera is rolling.

For the record, pun unfortunately intended, I think it is extremely poor form for anyone who records a match to not make a copy of that record available to their opponent in a timely manner. However, I don't see that I have standing as a TD to make that a requirement. Even if I did, why would I want to become involved in such disputes? I don't see any reason why every match at a tournament should not be recorded. Other than, you know, the effort required. Which is really the crux of that problem, some folks think that if they are footing the expense and effort of doing something, they are entitled to determine how the proceeds are used. It's kind of hard to argue with that. Perhaps folks that like having their matches recorded by others can start by bringing some spare tapes or memory sticks (or whatever supplies you actually need) and help share in that expense.

At any rate, no one is required to attend these events. I certainly do not wish, at the moment, to exclude anyone from my tournament, and I definitely hope that no one who would have originally attended will now not attend because of my stance on recording. On the other hand, I'm not going to worry about it much, since I'm quite certain that my view on the matter is correct. Perhaps that has something to do with not being overly worried about folks studying and copying my many blunders, I mean brilliancies.

I'm willing and interested to entertain suggestions about the precise wording or options for the text regarding recording in the CoC if anyone has some.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.