[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Selection of Backgammon Giants from USA

Posted By: Marv Porten
Date: Sunday, 31 May 2009, at 11:55 p.m.

Voting will take place later this year for the next list of Backgammon Giants. (I am not a voter and never will be.) The voters are asked to rank players on their achievements in tournament play and side games. Several players who post regularly on this forum are deservedly on the list, and I assume that they and some others who post here are voters.

In my opinion, no USA player should be on the list who does not play in at least a few ABT tournaments per year. It appears to me that some USA players on the 2007 list have retired from tournament play and are included based on their achievements in the 1970s and 1980s. Perhaps they are still doing well in "side games," but unless you played in the same side game, how would you know? I would include an "active tournament player" requirement in the qualifications for inclusion.

Another requirement should be that no USA player should be included by a voter unless the player collected a total of at least 15 (or maybe 20 or 25) ABT points in the past three (or four) years. The number 2 and number 9 players on the current list are great USA players and I'm certainly not disparaging their playing ability, but I was very surprised to see that neither of them has as many lifetime ABT points as I have. How can a USA player be on the list who has chosen not to play in ABT tournaments and/or who is not currently accumulating ABT points?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.