[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Criteria for Giants in US and Overseas

Posted By: Perry Gartner
Date: Monday, 1 June 2009, at 10:42 p.m.

This subject deserves a separate thread. There seems to be broad support for changes in the standards as stated by Yamin Yamin, who is running the Giants listing published by CJC.

Here are the areas of change we should consider and my suggeestions for specifics that would meet the criteria.

1.Geographic Eligibility

US, Europe, Israel, Japan, and Australia players vote only for Giants in their own domains.

2. Active Play defined.

Giants need to be active in tournament play, for the proceeding one year period, having participated in tournaments with a minimum of 32 players in the field, at least 2 times during the course of the year. Matches need to be to minimum of 13 points or best of a series of shorter matches, if played to maximum games would equal 13 or more points.

At least 2 matches as defined above need to be recorded and provided to the voters. The player needs to notify the TD of a particular match he intends to use for the Giants eligibility, in advance of the match. A player may designate up to 5 matches for this purpose. Voters need to take these matches into account but if other matches are also available, are not precluded from being considered by the voters as well.

3. Performance assessment by voter.

Error rates based upon rollouts, degree of difficulty of the positions, and 'opponent tendencies factor' could all be part of the judgement process used to determine the voter's choices.

4. Number of Giants on the List.

Given the work for the voters,and the difficulties involved in ranking, perhaps asking the voters to rank no more the top 10 might be best in the US. Since there are likely to be more than the same 10 players on each of the voter's list, the final size of the list could be determined purely by the number of different players voted to be in the top 10.

5. Eligibility of the Voters.

My preference would be to have the prior year Giants only do the voting.

6. An International Giant List.

The top 25% on each of the lists could be put to a vote by all of the voters for all of the areas. Again I would opt for voting for 10 players by each of the voters.

I dont think it to late to implement all of the criteria for 2009, if we were able to start quickly. If not an abbreviated version would be an improvement over what we have.

I personally could support a large number of options to what i have indicated as i think what we have now begs for improvement.

Perry

D.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.