[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

American Backgammon Association

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Wednesday, 3 June 2009, at 5:27 p.m.

In Response To: American Backgammon Association (Coolrey)

Your favorite Calcutta buy, Matt R, was doing something similar (with little help and not much cooperation, either) for quite a while. He could at least help by relating to you his experience. (Don't know if he'll be in DC, but probably in Novi.)

Might as well go to the extra trouble of ELO, which is what Matt was doing. Match Winning Record comes along for the ride (as was the case for KG ratings).

BTW, when this was discussed a few years back I suggested the easy way to get the raw data is if someone (maybe multiples) volunteers at each Ty to digi-photo the drawsheets. You wouldn't even need to stay until the end, just until cashing is guaranteed. CJC's ABT results (on ChicagoPoint site) finishes the sheet. That way you don't put extra burden on the already overloaded tournament staff.

Some suggestions (which aren't all mine): start with a clean slate with everyone at the same rating (none of this inflated rating BS for "known" players). Only Open/Championship gets rated. (You want to get rated? Step up to the major leagues.) Announce ahead of time if an event is to be rated. (If "All ABT", then it's a moot point.)

Personally I think LC should be included. Shorter matchlengths take care of themselves (in ELO). And more data is better. (Exception of "combined division LC" -- then should not be rated. But I don't know of this happening at any ABT event. Does it?)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.