[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What a shame...a proper ratings list would really enhance our game (long and opinionated)

Posted By: Barry Silliman
Date: Friday, 5 June 2009, at 11:02 a.m.

In Response To: What a shame...a proper ratings list would really enhance our game (long and opinionated) (joe freedman)

I dabbled in chess about 20 years prior to giving it up when I had no bad luck to blame when I lost, but as I recall even the humblest little tournament in a tiny little firehouse in Laurel counted the same towards my USCF rating as did the large Maryland Open in Kensington which was played in by world grandmasters such as Boris Gulko and his wife. (Her name escapes me but I think she was at a high level as well).

So your idea has merit.

As an aside, despite the economy in the toilet, we have had BY FAR our best attendance at our local club since at least 2000, averaging nearly 15 with 104 players in 7 events this year, when we never even once topped 15 at a single event since at least 2001. I started attending in 1999 so I assume Joe the days of 20 or more were probably prior to that.

To get on a tangent, this year's attendance increase coincides with the introduction of the Clocks Preferred policy!

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.