[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

********* HERE GOES NOTHING ******** US Backgammon Association

Posted By: Coolrey
Date: Friday, 5 June 2009, at 12:54 p.m.

In Response To: ********* HERE GOES NOTHING ******** US Backgammon Association (Rod)

I dunno what your mission statement was, Rod, or what you think is important. Your association was well intentioned, but life interfered... apparently.

I am sort of a stats guy and it just seems really dumb that nobody is keeping stats in all of AMERICA on the ABT. Jeez!

So if nothing else I will start being that guy. I could use some help from a computer dude to develop a simple excel spreadsheet. I am getting the drawsheet from Chicago Open from Howard to start... and while doing the auction I will solicit others from previous events in 2009. Some of the W/L stats can be contrived... Cuz we know who WON each event. Neil won here, Rod was second... yada yada yada.

My further thoughts would be to use funds to support ABT events, especially the smaller ones... In turn the directors would provide statistical data on wins and losses or drawsheets. A travelling representative or member can collect the data for the purposes of subsequent data entry.

As for an ELO system: It would be very difficult and daunting and beyond my scope of expertise. It has been tried before and failed. A grand plan to resurrect KG's original system lasted for one glorious tournament.

Wins and losses provide direct and simple feedback that can be referred to when someone like Stick wants to make out his GIANTS list. The information could be made available on the web, most certainly. Magriel, Robertie, KG, and guys like Stuart Thomson... Might still be considered GIANTS despite lack of attendance. NABA might not have stats for them, but there will be statistics for current active members and non members. That will provide voters with one more source of information to make intelligent, or at least INFORMED decisions.

I will begin to gather statistics whether or not a....

NORTH AMERICAN BACKGAMMON ASSOCIATION (NABA)

is started.

Members will not get a whole lot back for their contribution, dues, initiation fee or whatever you wanna call it. American Backgammon will be the benefactor, and I will carry most of the burden with the help of my "friends".

Maybe leftover funds could go into an end of the year Tournament of ABT Champions or some such thing...

Meetings could be held at ABT events when members are present and accounted for... I will discuss specific details with Rod and get his insight and advice... I have not had time to review all of these posts here, but I will. Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.