[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Attendance ... Perhaps it is the Money

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Thursday, 18 June 2009, at 9:54 p.m.

Since we're batting around all kinds of ideas I'll throw this one out. Others have touched on the essence.

How do we bring new people into the game and increase attendance at our tournaments? When even new players local to an event (hence no travel or lodging expenses) have to cough up $100-$200 to play in the intermediate or $250-$500 to play in the championship we're probably not terribly attractive, or encouraging, to new players -- even if they know of us at all.

Further, unfortunately, with Calcutta auctions and/or main event rakes we're usually skating along the fine line of the law in most states. Thus, I doubt there is much, if any, broad based advertising of the events even in the event cities.

Granted, it costs money to put on a tourney and those expenses must be covered -- I've not seen many benefactors or sponsors willing to carry the load. Within our current system we all, effectively, pay a fee to the director to cover the costs of the event and the remainder of the money is but redistributed among the participants -- to the winners.

Why not like bridge? I'll admit absolutely no familiarity with the structure of the bridge scene beyond what I've read here. However, they're obviously considerably more successful in the promotion of their game than we are ours.

How many players go to ABT events for the money? Few would be my guess. Most are, doubtlessly, in the red each year -- they go because they enjoy the game, the people, and the social aspects of the event. They would get the same enjoyable experiences if everyone paid only a $50 (or whatever it would be) entry fee and we had our tournaments (they could still select to play open, intermediate, or beginner) -- with trophies to the winners, ratings points a la bridge, and some year end awards like the ABT. I would wager the vast majority of current players would be out less money each year without the high entry fees, even including any winnings they may have. I doubt if those few players netting a profit each year are dependent on the income or would stop playing without the potential. We could keep the jackpot events to satisfy those desires. But the average players could participate in the game (the main events) affordably.

Do a ratings systems but have it all positive. Anyone who plays in a certain number of championship events, and maintains some reasonable rating, is a 'championship' player. Beyond that, with tourney and ratings success, one could progress to various enhanced levels of 'championship' status -- maybe it's 'championship', 'championship expert', 'championship master', and 'championship elite' -- who cares as long as it is established and recognized. The best get their recognition but others aren't called out. Same for the intermediate.

Without the money prizes (with higher entry fees) and the calcuttas we'd be free to openly and vigorously promote our game to all. Storm the high schools and colleges for interested students -- the game is fun and it does have relevance to a number of academic subjects. Have ads in newspapers prior to an event -- the major city paper and the neighborhood freebie types. Put ads in sports bars, regular bars, go to on-line sites and promote, talk it up on radio talk shows (sports and general topic shows). Target the local ethnic communities with historical ties to backgammon -- Turkish, Armenian, Iranian, etc. We can be creative. Some free seminars (such as many of the ABT events have) are great, maybe some free play with some of the established players (we can all spare an hour over a weekend tourney to promote the game), have flyers with rules, etc. freely, widely, and obviously available.

Make them aware, make them welcome, make it affordable. I think we fail at all three.

I'm sure many will contrast backgammon, bridge, and poker. Poker has had incredible growth and success and the moneys associated with it are staggering -- both in entry fees and in purses. Unfortunately, at this time, I don't think backgammon is comparable in any manner to poker and is much more comparable to bridge. We have to tremendously expand our game and grossly increase our attendance before we can ever hope to realize the successes of poker -- with television, sponsors, big money, etc.

We have to crawl before we can walk or run. The topics I've discussed above are only possible first steps in that direction.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.