[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Clocks preferred in some events at Towson MD ABT event in October

Posted By: Barry Silliman
Date: Friday, 10 July 2009, at 9:59 p.m.

The website for the Mid-Atlantic Backgammon Championships in Towson, Maryland (Baltimore area) in October mentions that Clocks may be used upon request by either player subject to availability, but the printed brochure does not mention this, so I asked Elayne for a clarification.

Elayne authorized me to announce this on Stick's site here, so here is the policy:

The two Open level events and Doubles will be clocks preferred- either player may request a clock. This is subject to availability so obviously to be certain you should bring your own clock.

Doubles will be clocks-preferred with 3 minutes per point and 18 seconds delay per move (which I believe is what was used in Novi last weekend), and the masters-level event (Charm City Classic) and the main Championship event will both be clocks-preferred with 2 minutes per point and 15 seconds delay per move.

Note the 15 second delay instead of the 12 second delay currently written up in the ABT US Clock Rules. As this is a year when more tournaments are transitioning to clock usage, I felt that it wouldn't hurt to try another timing in order to get some feedback on how players felt about a setting other than 2/12. I advised Elayne to consider using 2/15 and she agreed to this. Elayne ran this change by Bill Davis as a courtesy, since Bill is the godfather of the ABT, and he did not have a problem with this as there are currently no mandates for clock usage at ABT events.

If anybody has already signed up for one of these three events (Doubles, Championship and Charm City Class) and does not like the clock policy stated here, they should contact Elayne directly. I also advised her to let people know about the clock policy as they sign up for one of these three events just in case someone signed up unaware of this.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.