[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Comparing Extreme to Snowie

Posted By: phil Simborg
Date: Monday, 13 July 2009, at 4:31 p.m.

Comparing Extremegammon to Snowie.

Michael Corbett selected 10 positions from his recent book, Backgammon Positions, and asked me to compare Extreme 3-ply evaluations to those of Snowie 3-play which were published in his book. These were all positions that Snowie got wrong based on the rollouts and Mike’s personal opinion of the positions.

In 9 out of 10 of the positions, Extremegammon 3-ply agreed with the final, rolled out decisions. In the 10th position, Extreme 3-ply agreed with Snowie 3-ply, (however the rollout did agree with Snowie’s rollout and Mike’s evaluation of the play).

The positions below appear in Mike’s book, and anyone reading this is free to do their own comparisons and replicate what I have done.

I believe this speaks very strongly for Extremegammon. I also compared Extreme XG roller which got these positions right by a higher margin, but since 3 ply is used in most rollouts, this also indicates that rollouts are likely to be much more accurate using Extremegammon than using Snowie.

Play/Page No. Extreme 3 ply Better than Snowie Extreme 3 Ply

Same as Snowie Percentage Ex was better than Snowie 1 X .059 2 X .076 15 X .024 23 X .001 61 X .012 68 X Same 70 X .054 83 X .051 87 X .166 133 X .023

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.