[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

World Championship

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Thursday, 16 July 2009, at 10:54 p.m.

as an interested observer, and having played in Monte Carlo twice, I make these suggestions

Move the WC out of Monte Carlo -- preferably, in my opinion, rotate it among several major cities giving more opportunity for people around the world to play. Almost anywhere else is less expensive than Monte Carlo.

Maybe a ten city rotation -- NYC, LA, London, Paris, Copenhagen, MC, Tokyo, Rio, Buenos Aires, and Dubai. Who knows? Suggest your own cites. (and, of course, the US and European cities would be staggered through the decade, not consecutive as shown in the listing)

Then people get to see more of the world, and people sometimes wouldn't have to travel halfway around the world to get to play in the WC. Probably would introduce a lot more players to the WC.

And, since people are typically travelling to some distant destination and have all week to play, go with some type of Swiss format or, at a minimum, a double elimination with progressive consolation ala Michigan.

This way the freak loss and/or unfortunate early pairing does not eliminate someone from contention -- as an example, this year Stick/Falafel drawing each other in the first round, or Neil Kazaross losing in the first round. I think it would be a truer test and more worthy title with one of the suggested formats.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.