[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

How to play with an error rate under 2.0

Posted By: Joe Russell
Date: Saturday, 18 July 2009, at 4:26 a.m.

Twenty-five years ago, my wife was taught to play backgammon by Steve Sax. This occurred at the famous Cavendish West backgammon club in Los Angeles. It was before we had children and I was totally addicted to backgammon at the time and my wife accompanied me around the world while I played. We lived in Los Angeles and when not traveling I played at the club at least 6 days a week. Steve Sax was young and already a very strong player and would sit with my wife, while I was busy in the chouettes, and teach her how to play. She only played for money once and won over 80 points and she only entered a tournament once - the Monte Carlo beginner in 1984- where she lost in the semi-finals. She was stiffed by her opponent in the money game and since she doesn't really like to gamble and tournaments made her nervous, she rarely played after 1984, and never after my son was born in 1987.

Fast forward to last week when I asked her to play me a seven point match on GNU. It was a six game match and when I 3-plyed it she played 1.9. I was shocked to say the least and a few days later I asked her to play another one and she played 1.6. She said; 'that is it I am never playing another match, I have nothing to gain'. After several days and much cajoling I told her just play me one more and I will not grade it and she said okay. After it was over she said okay you can grade it. She played 2.3 in a nine-game complicated match. I am beyond shocked, but happy I have a new doubles partner for tournaments in Los Angeles.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that should you wish to play with an error rate under 2.0, take lessons from Steve Sax, then take a break from backgammon for 22 years!!

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.