[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Cube error rates

Posted By: Joe Russell
Date: Tuesday, 21 July 2009, at 1:37 p.m.

If you are like me you get dinged more than anything else for not doubling when you should. Often I will miss a cube by .05 or so for several shakes in a row. That has led me to consider the fairness of the grading of these errors. Say hypothetically, you had a position that was static for 25 rolls and for each roll you made a .05 error by not doubling. Your cumulative error would be 1.25, but you would have only been .05 better off if you had doubled at any time. Now say in another 25-roll static position it was wrong to double by .05 and you doubled on the first roll. Now your cumulative error is only .05, twenty five times less than the other position, but the true cost of the errors was identical.

I realize in one situation you made one bad decision and in the other you made 25 bad decisions, but the cost in MWC of the 25 was truly no more than the cost of the one. Perhaps the correct way to grade missed cubes is to ding for the largest error made while you had access to the cube in its current state. If on shake one you missed a cube by.05 and on shake two you missed one by .10 and on shake three you properly doubled. You would be dinged for .1-your largest error, not for .15-the cumulative errors.

And, in practice, against humans it is often correct not to double when it would be right, by a small margin, against a bot because the human can make an error and later pass a take or take a pass. But, not if you don't give them the chance to make that error.

To ding for cumulative missed doubles is wrong in theory and even more wrong in practice.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.