[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

for your consideration...

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Thursday, 23 July 2009, at 4:34 p.m.

(Disclaimer: this post is the opinion of the author without consent of the management of bgonline.org.)

Back when this site started it seemed like a small group of hardcore BG players in a Wild West setting. I don't think it's that way anymore. For one thing, Stick was an unkonwn then and now he's the Messiah. (OK, I exaggerate but on this last statement I probably DO have the consent of the management.) It is pretty obviously the best English language site for discussing cutting edge topics on backgammon.

But with this popularity comes, IMO, some responsibility. It's no longer a group of guys sitting around in the bar after a long night of play. I think sometimes some (and maybe most at one time or another, including myself) shoot first and ask questions later. There are always two sides to every story and almost always those sides are different. But even in the (rare) case that the facts are 100% clear, the way opinions are presented has an effect, and the effect can be negative.

I think one thing we all have in common is that we want the game to thrive and grow. For that to happen, obviously new people will show up. Do we want to turn them off with perceived negative, insensitive attacks on third parties? But even people already involved in the game have feelings, too.

I'm not talking censorship. I have always been one who believes that facts are facts and they should be made available for people to form their own conclusions. But I would like to feel secure that the facts are exactly that, and further would like to see both those facts and subsequent opinions presented in a manner that is fair to everyone, whenever possible.

My proposal is that before pressing the "post message" that you consider the feelings of others, including third parties not involved but also those indirectly and directly responsible for the topic/issue being addressed.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.