[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What ever happened to talks about a US Backgammon Federation?

Posted By: DanielP
Date: Sunday, 26 July 2009, at 12:47 a.m.

i know there was some talk before the michigan tourney that some folks were going to get together to brainstorm ideas about forming a US Backgammon Federation/Association. did anything ever come of that? the reason i ask is this, (bare with me a moment) while backgammon is my first love, like many there are times when i get frustrated with the luck and wonder why i even play the game. recently after one of those times i decided i wanted to learn to play go. so i'm doing my research, reading everything i can about the game, playing a few games as well etc, etc. well in doing my research i came across a notice of an upcoming event called the US go congress. as far as i can tell its a week long event with tourney's, seminars, teaching lessons, etc and over 500 people are expected to attend. if we ever had 500 people show up at a BG tourney i imagine the TD's would crap themselves. never in a million years would i have guessed that this game that originated in the far east would be more popular in the US than backgammon. i guess that claim is debatable but i also found out that in my state (virginia) there are 14 go clubs listed (AGA info) while only 2 clubs backgammon clubs (chicago point) are listed. furthermore i found it interesting that the american go association is older than both the acbl (bridge) and the uscf (chess) it seems clear to me at least, that if we want to help our game grow we need a national organization to help promote the game. if you need any further proof i'll leave you with this thought: national scrabble association http://www2.scrabble-assoc.com/ for crying out loud if they can do it why cant we?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.