[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Why don't people post things like this about American tournaments?

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Thursday, 30 July 2009, at 7:00 p.m.

In Response To: Why don't people post things like this about American tournaments? (Rich Munitz)

I think it is more a cultural phenomena. In certain regions and populations cheating (or, alternatively, getting away with anything you can -- in life, business, games, etc.) seems to be a much more common and accepted thread within the cultural fabric. In other areas it is not.

I think it telling that in the US (anecdotally, from my perspective) it seems the bg playing immigrants who have been here longer and have become more assimilated within our culture ('Americanized', if you will) have a playing ethic closely aligned with the norm here. Conversely, more recent bg playing immigrants, and/or those having not assimilated into the culture, may retain more of the cultural norms of their places of origin.

So, it can be as much as a clash of cultures as anything else. This is what needs to be addressed.

There can also be an economic factor with large sums of money. Those from relatively poorer countries and populations may be more enticed by large prizes than those from more fortunate origins. However, I think the cultural phenomena is the more predominate.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.