[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Why don't people post things like this about American tournaments?

Posted By: Keene
Date: Thursday, 30 July 2009, at 7:33 p.m.

In Response To: Why don't people post things like this about American tournaments? (Wayne)

Wayne: I heard a story last year of a US based backgammon player's board starting to smoke during a game. Maybe somebody could confirm if it was an urban myth or true.

I have never heard that one before. Perhaps this was a true 'Steamer'. Perhaps even the original 'Steam Sax'. I could imagine seeing his board smoking... (not in a cheating sense though) :)

Bill: ... it seems the bg playing immigrants who have been here longer and have become more assimilated within our culture ('Americanized', if you will) have a playing ethic closely aligned with the norm here.

I realize that you are no stranger to controversy Bill, but doesnt that sound a little more aggressive than you mean? All non Americans become less inclined / prone to cheating the more they get used to the US culture? Sounds a little off to me.

What I am getting at is that I am one of those 'immigrants who have become Americanized', and I do take some offense to the suggestion that because I am not from this country originally I am more prone to cheating. Or less prone the more Americanized I get - depending on how you read it. I think that statement is profoundly untrue. I also disagree entirely. Its not a cultural thing, or a 'state of your countries economy' thing either. Its the surroundings and people with which you play the game. Personally, I prefer legal moves, will not try and mechanize the dice in any way, and want a fair game from both sides.

Not trying to start a political fight here, just taking issue with this is all.

Keene

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.