[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

A Bad Beat for the Ages and a Regular Bad Beat

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Monday, 10 August 2009, at 3:27 p.m.

A bad beat for the ages not only has to be incredibly improbable, grossly ironic, and/or at a most critical juncture.

Julius High lost to Lucky Nelson in the Ft. Lauderdale Championship Semifinals by losing a backgammon with only two checkers closed out. Since Julius already trailed 2-5/11 and was going to trail 2-9/11 w/o the backgammon, I'll only classify this as a bad beat.

My Consolation match with Lee Genud has to go into the supreme category. I led 8-1 Crawford and had one of her checkers closed out in the Crawford game. I get odd, get hit, and lose. The next game was the same: her early post-Crawford cube, her closed out, I get odd, get hit, and lose. Hey, but I'm still up 8-4 post-Crawford.

She cubes early and I get commanding advantage looking like a cake walk win. The several improbable sequences occur and I'm looking at getting gammoned -- but, there's another game.

I have none in the air and five on Lee's deuce point; she is all in her home board with none off. She rolls a 5-1 and takes one off the six, I roll a 6-5 and take two out. So, here we sit. I have three on her deuce point. She has fourteen checkers to bear-off.

Correct !!! I get bg'd for the match !!!!!

Lee 6-6, Bill 6-1, L 6-5, B 3-1, L 4-4, B 3-2, L 5-5

That one will be forever etched in my memory banks.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.