[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Another Issue for Tournament Directors

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Tuesday, 1 September 2009, at 2:25 p.m.

I happen to believe that if both players agree to play their match on a computer, instead of a board, with the Pip Count turned off, there is no reason why that should not be allowed. I believe it is good for the players and good for the game to have matches automatically recorded in this manner, and when I have been allowed to do this, I have a projector so that many people can watch the match, and far enough away so that they can comment on the plays.

There are many other reasons I prefer a computer, including not having to worry about cocked die, crooked die, fast rolling, etc. etc., and simply having the entire match automatically recorded for review.

It makes the game more interesting and exciting for everyone, in my opinion. Tournament Directors have argued to me that it is not fair to other players, as we don't have to worry about catching illegal plays. I happen to believe that is a silly argument, as many of us are privately agreeing to legal moves anyway when we play each other.

I would not "boycot" a tournament that doesn't allow the match to be played on a computer, and I understand why some people are not comfortable playing on the computer instead of a board. I am only advocating this if BOTH players agree...I see no good reason why directors would not allow it...especially since it makes the match more visible and interesting for spectators.

Personally, I think all final events (for Open and Masters) should be done this way with the match projected on to a screen and even a podcast to the entire world.

I would love to hear other's thoughts on this. I think if enough people agreed with me and expressed their support to tournament directors, more tournament directors would be agreeable to allowing this.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.