[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

XG "moves that are completely unimportant"

Posted By: Michael Depreli
Date: Wednesday, 2 September 2009, at 8:26 p.m.

From the XG website:

Q: Can I see the Snowie Rating?

A: No. Our take on the Snowie Rating is that it is inherently flawed. Snowie rating is the amount of equity (normalized) lost multiply by 1000 divided by the number for roll (for both players). The main problem of it is that it does not take into account forced moves or moves that are completely unimportant. For instance in Snowie, if you play a game and reach a position where are 100% sure to lose and play the next 10 moves rather than resigning your rating will be higher! That surely does not make sense. Another case where the result is not proper is if your opponent makes a big mistake at the beginning of the game, get hit and dance for pretty much the rest of the game. His Snowie Rating will be very low because of all the moves you made and was sitting on the bar obviously making no error. But, after all, he was given one chance to show your skills but made a bad choice. In My book, he played bad every move and should be rated very very poorly on that game.

Apart from dancing, forced moves and moves in gin positions, are there any other types of move that qualify?

I ask because IIRC I read somewhere about "almost forced" or something like that being included.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.