[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Baffle Boxes in Madison

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Sunday, 6 September 2009, at 12:16 p.m.

I have used my baffled box in almost every match (a couple of players declined, which "currently" is their right). Several who never used one before agreed that they really liked it....you still get to shake those dice and it's nice to never have cocked die, die off the table, and nice to hear and see the tumbling so you don't have to worry about people not shaking their die.

Carol Cole also brought the prototypes of the dice sealed in plastic tubes. Neil believes they are great, provided they are a little shorter so they are more stable and that we use American dice that are easier to read and be picked up by the camera (I agree completely).

Bottom line is both were pretty much a hit by most everyone who saw and tried them, and while this might not indicate the "future" of backgammon, surely it is a reasonable option (and improvement in my opinion and that of many others) to include. Without a lot of expense or difficulty, we have something that better assures that the game is honest; that dice are more likely to be random and very well mixed; that dice are less likely to be cocked; and that the game will simply be more pleasant (once people get used to them).

My experience with most people is once you get used to playing with a baffle box it becomes very natural and you actually feel uncomfortable without it.

I am looking into places and ways to produce both items economically, and in a style that can be carried inside a backgammon board.

PS: Both Neil and I have baffle boxes that fold up and lay flat in the board, both those are fragile and mine has broken several times and I have given up on it. The tube does fit in the most boards as it is less that 2" in diameter and that's all you need for a Taki board and most other boards.

My new FM board was also very well received, and most who examined it agreed that it certainly is comparable to a Taki board and in several ways superior. (The surface is a great improvement; the workmanship and materials are at least comparable; the looks are pretty much the same...only the checkers are a little lower grade, but I personally happen to like their checkers a lot.)

Also important to note: everyone likes my new glasses.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.