[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Old story, but maybe worth repeating

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Wednesday, 21 October 2009, at 4:23 p.m.

In Response To: Old story, but maybe worth repeating (Chuck Bower)

I have known about the 7 shuffle rule for many years, and I play gin rummy an average of 3 days a week. I ALWAYS shuffle at least 7 times EVERY TIME, and when my opponent does not, when he offers me a cut, I shuffle a few more times to be sure.

One of the best gin rummy players I have ever known is my brother, Bud. He watches how many times his opponent shuffles and if his opponent doesn't shuffle much, or shuffles poorly, he uses his memory of the previous hand to help him decide how to play, assuming that if he had three kings the last hand and he has one or two this hand, that they are more likely to come up, etc.

I also play gin with a guy who believes I shuffle too much and that tends to put the hands back together again. (He also likes to change the dice often when we play backgammon, and he switches hands when rolling if one hand doesn't give him bigger rolls.)

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.