[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Giants List - Candidates etc...(long)

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Thursday, 19 November 2009, at 2:24 p.m.

In Response To: Giants List - Candidates etc...(long) (Stick)

I was surprised to hear about the rumors that some people in Europe are apparently circulating. I’m glad Stick made me aware of it and I’d like to set the record straight.

My main reasons for not wanting my matches recorded are that I don’t want individuals to (a) figure out how to beat me more often, and (b) sell my matches. [I also feel camera-shy and distracted by the presence of an eye in the sky, though presumably I could get past that.]

I realize (a) may seem selfish or even silly, but I am concerned about retaining what little equity I may have left going to tournaments. I would like to think that overall I am generous sharing information and helping people improve their backgammon, but I’d like to keep a little corner to myself. While I am content with people watching me during the match I prefer that they not play back my games later and dissect them.

Regarding (b), some of my matches have been shared or sold (or shared and then sold) despite promises to the contrary. I no longer want to be put in a position of making a distinction about who might and who might not and hurt someone’s feelings.

[Digression: I’m actually FOR recording. If nothing else, it discourages attempts at dice cheating (at least the kind visible within the board surface area) and it can be used as an aid in resolving illegal play disputes. However, I would like the matches recorded by (or tapes surrendered to) the TD or tournament staff so that s/he would have sole control of the transcripts. S/he would be welcome, encouraged even, to promote backgammon with and profit by them. In the Gammon Million tournament a couple years ago, I was delighted that PartyGammon made all us players sign waivers to that effect. For the most part, tournament directors have a thankless job and I believe match sales, tournament books, etc. (and televising) could be a good avenue for defraying costs or [gasp] even turning a profit. In short, my desire to promote backgammon and help the TDs (without whom we wouldn’t have tournaments) overrides my previously stated desire.

I realize that many people may have a different perspective, and I don’t really want to debate it here; well-intending people can disagree. I just thought I’d present the TD-exclusive concept because it might never have been stated on this forum. Now I’ll return to the original reason for this post.]

Half a dozen to a dozen years ago, when games were fast and loose, I played a lot on Gamesgrid (and some on Netgammon). I’ve played a lot less online over the last few years, but from the time I started playing online in 1997 through today I’ve never blocked people from watching my matches or money games. I knew that at times there might be people recording, but I put up with it because the only way to prevent it would be to stop everyone from watching.

The only exception to that is when I’m giving LESSONS: I make those private out of respect for my students. I believe that’s where confusion may have arisen.

I certainly agree with the Europeans that Americans have been overrated on the Giants list, consistently so.

Nack

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.