[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

answer to Marry

Posted By: mamabear
Date: Thursday, 19 November 2009, at 8:47 p.m.

In Response To: answer to Marry (Iancho Hristov)

..."AND THE ER RATE IS EQUAL TO STRENGHT"...(sic)

I would be more nuanced and say there is a strong correlation, but it's not "equal". My point was that betting against Ray Fogerlund because of his online error rate is unlikely to be a profitable venture. However, anyone who plays with a very low error and has a rating of 2000, like Stick or Neil Kaz, is also someone not to bet against. There are lots of times when it's very good to keep one's wallet in one's pocket.

At the end of my post I noted that error rates do matter, and we should use a bot to help ourselves improve it. But to make that the main criterion of strength leaves out other factors that also affect results and are part of being a truly great backgammon player. This game, like intelligence, performing-arts talent, or athletic performance in complex games like baseball and football, cannot be reduced to a single number.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.