[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Are all premature actions necessarily bad?

Posted By: Rich Munitz
Date: Wednesday, 9 December 2009, at 9:26 p.m.

I don't necessarily believe that premature actions are always bad.

I've sat across the board from players endlessly pondering a checker play when I know that no matter what they do it is a clear Double/Pass. I have been known to double prematurely in such a case hoping that once the player sees the futility of their decision they will break out of their decision loop. Perhaps the person is simply looking for the play with the best chance to stop the cube. And I've just provided them information that such a play does not exist.

Maybe the premature double is not good form, but then again neither is spending 2 minutes unclocked thinking about a play with exactly zero equity difference between all choices.

What if you're playing against a player in a gin position who is not conceding. Is it ok to simply roll prematurely, knowing that being required to reroll cannot change the outcome?

I am interested in opinions here. If everyone thinks this kind of action is unacceptable, I will avoid it. But is this a case where a premature action could be considered acceptable?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.