[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Never had that problem myself

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Sunday, 13 December 2009, at 5:54 p.m.

In Response To: Killing the fetish point (Matt Ryder)

Sam Pottle calls me the "midpoint iconoclast".

A general principle (which of course has exceptions) is that if you're playing a barpoint holding game, the midpoint has less value than normal. The barpoint pressures opponent's midpoint, something your midpoint does (although maybe only mildly so). The 18-point also indirectly covers your outfield.

Another principle concerns blots in opp's board. Often this gives you freedom to play more loosely (i.e. hitting or positioning builders which leave blots of your own).

Here a safe play is 13/5. That creates a homeboard builder so it has value. But the principles above constructively interfere (shop talk :) to make 13/11, 13/7 a strong candidate. The builders for extending the back of the prime are decent, and if opp hops out you get lots of shots. Those checkers can also become builders (or even loose hitters) in the near future for the homeboard.

Blonde trails in the race, has an anchor and a nice block. Brunette has the opposite, plus a couple blots -- s/he must play conservatively. Aggressive moves are called for against a soft peddling opponent.

13/7, 13/11.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.