[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

65R-31P-55P-66B-51$-62

Posted By: Nack Ballard
Date: Monday, 14 December 2009, at 12:40 a.m.

In Response To: 65R-31P-55P-66B-51$-62 (Matt Cohn-Geier)

Another reason this kind of slot is wrong with a 6 is that next roll both Blue's covering and non-covering rolls have a tendency to play awkwardly and leave a second blot.

Assuming Blue is missed after 62S-31P-66 (the subset of positions to which I think you refer), I believe Blue's equity is better having played $ (Slot 11/5) than having played D (Down 13/7) -- he'll end up with an extra point more often. In both positions, Blue hopes to make a fourth offensive point and that will frequently mean leaving a direct shot again.

Your comment doesn't contradict that -- I agree if your essential point is that after getting missed the gain of having played $ instead of D is not as big as it might otherwise appear, due to the fallout of awkward distribution.

Given that $ works out better when missed, it is logical to conclude that it is the combination of quality and quantity (3 extra) of White's hits that cause Blue's $ play to go from being better (when missed) to being worse overall compared to D. [The quality issue, the one I addressed, is the one that seems so often neglected.]

Nack

P.S. Corrections to my main post: (1) Under the second diagram, should be "...and D beats $ by .030." (2) Above the final diagram and in the caption, "66P" should be "66B." And (3) In the paragraph above that, instead of "your 7pt" I meant to say "one or both 7pts."

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.