[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Killing the fetish point

Posted By: Rich Munitz
Date: Monday, 14 December 2009, at 2:39 a.m.

In Response To: Killing the fetish point (Matt Cohn-Geier)

I don't think that 13/5 is as stiff or as difficult to improve as it seems. The midpoint will go, and it will probably go with both checkers next roll, and that will fix the missing flexibility. However, aces will generally be uncomfortable to play. I think this play is just fine.

The slot seems natural enough, but it also creates difficulty with aces and repeaters if the slot can't be covered. If the slot can be covered, another checker will have to be moved in addition to the covering 2 or 3. Where will it move from? Probably the mid, which will now leave a blot while the opponent's 5 point has probably been covered.

I happen to also like 13/7 13/11. It duplicates the ace which is unlikely to be hit if the 20 point can't also be covered, clears the point now, since it will have to be cleared next turn anyway, and it creates a very flexible position with all numbers playing comfortably.

I find all three plays to be close. Overall, I think I prefer 13/7 13/11 as it creates a very flexible position with minimal risk now and on the next roll.

As for the attachment to the midpoint in the original post, I think it is a good idea in general to not part with the midpoint lightly. But one must recognize here that it is unlikely the midpoint can be held beyond the next turn, and it is unlikely to have any value in that time. So no sense being attached to a point that you cannot hold anyway.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.