[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Addendum

Posted By: Daniel Murphy
Date: Tuesday, 29 December 2009, at 3:41 a.m.

In Response To: Addendum (Timothy Chow)

re 1: Has anyone done same-parameter same-seed rollouts of money positions comparing Jacoby=ON and Jacoby=OFF? I think they would indicate that the effect of the Jacoby rule on doubling points is much less than some might believe. Some years ago I had Gnubg play itself with and without the Jacoby rule, and found little (if any) difference in double/take/drop frequency that could be attributed to the Jacoby rule. Since I can't point to that data, and it was probably not strong, consider it anecdotal. But I do feel that the main practical effect of playing with the Jacoby rule (other than (1) eliminating a lot of play-ons after big swing sequences and (2) eliminating the need to determine whether center-cube positions are double/passes or too good), is to encourage some players to double early, for fear, largely unfounded, of not activating gammons.

re 2: Timothy, when you say "cubeless numbers," to which numbers are you referring?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.