[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Containment checker play, take 2

Posted By: Timothy Chow
Date: Tuesday, 29 December 2009, at 3:51 p.m.

In Response To: Containment checker play, take 2 (Chuck Bower)

I was then and still am surprised the slot plays (10/6 x/x) aren't mentioned, particularly at DMP.

This part I think I do understand. A slot loses instantly if hit, and it wins instantly if missed and covered. The point is that the negative swing on the hit numbers is typically quite a bit bigger than the positive swing on the miss-and-cover numbers. If you don't slot and the opponent enters without hitting, you still have good winning chances because of the good outfield coverage. If you don't slot then your would-be cover numbers still improve your position by improving your pip count and bringing more ammunition closer.

In positions where the opponent's entering numbers leave you up the creek anyway, then slotting becomes more attractive. Here, it's not the case that the opponent's entering numbers are disasters even if you don't slot.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.