[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Entire Hand + Recap

Posted By: Stick
Date: Monday, 21 May 2007, at 9:59 p.m.

In Response To: To the River (Stick)

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1119057
(as a side note I just realized I was the SB here and did not have position in this hand, I think I'd commented earlier as if I did. It doesn't change how I played the hand in this situation, obviously, but something I said may have been off mark)

Preflop: Short handed AT suited is a pretty big hand. Only playing 5 out of 6 holes (1 sitting out) and it's folded to the button. Everyone knows that the button could be raising on anything (esp. @ higher stakes). As the sb I would like to play with my AT HU v. the button and shove the BB out of the pot. I don't want to try to play the hand OOP v. 2 opponents so I 3 bet to isolate. I also assume I have the best hand at this point. The bb folds, sb simply calls. I feel I have the best hand.

Flop: A real airball. No need to fret, such an airball for me is most likely an airball for my opponent too. I bet out, as I would regardless of what came on the flop. He calls.

Turn: Interesting turn. A 'higher' value card which gives me a draw to the nut but I'd rather have seen a deuce. At this point I have to ask myself "Bet or check?" If I check and he bets do I really call intending to call on the river too?? That seems like a meek play at best. I'd rather find out where I stand, so if I bet he can either call or raise. I lead out again and if he raises I'm not sure what I would have done. He calls yet again.

River: Fairly harmless card. Let's see what I can put together as to what hands he may be on. He raised from the button preflop, this could mean anything. Once the airball flop came he flat called me. He isn't on two clubs because he'd have raised there. I also don't think he's on a 'middle pair' because he may have capped preflop with such a hand or definitely raised on the flop to figure out where he was at. If he had any monster hand most people would raise the turn with it if they'd managed to slowplay it to this point. I can also take him off the big aces, AK, AQ, AJ, even AT, because he also probably caps preflop with them or raised the flop or turn. He could be on something like TJ or TK, these kind of trash hands, and could have even hit the jack on the turn but thinking, since I've played the whole hand so strong, that it may not be good, decided to just call. These aren't the most likely hands I'd put him on, but not out of the realm of possible.

The real hands I put him on are AX where, in all likelyhood, X=3 or 4. If it was AX where X=2 or 5 he should have raised the flop just as he'd have done if he had a middle pair, to find out where he's really at. If the X is between 6-T he's chasing to nothing and has plans of calling down with ace high the entire time? That doesn't make much sense...people like to be drawing to something, putting me back to A3 or A4. If that's the case I have to bet don't I?! If I check & he checks we showdown, I win. If I check & he bets I probably have to call anyway right? I'd be mighty impressed if I bet & he raises, that doesn't happen the way this hand went down and the cards that came ... so the only play is to bet out and let him figure out if he's calling or not.

As a side note if you're him do you see what he did wrong? You have to raise that flop, or at least I'd have to raise that flop. In this particular example if he raised the flop, I might have flat called or even folded there. Turn comes, I check, am I really going to chase what I think may be a 4 outer when he bets the turn?

Stick

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.