[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

NY Ruling Dispute

Posted By: Chuck Bower
Date: Saturday, 9 January 2010, at 8:13 p.m.

In Response To: NY Ruling Dispute (Stick)

(Much of what I say is implied by Stick in his comments.)

Blue claims he hadn't completed his turn and was simply moving the dice out of the way to look at another play.

First off, he's not allowed to do that without telling opp verbally (as the rule posted shows).

I asked Butch Meese about a similar situation long ago. He said that if you move your checkers and then touch the dice without saying anything your turn is over. The rules as written aren't clear, but the "in case of a dispute..." does seem to indicate the turn is over. Even here, though, what 'dispute' does the rule refer to?

Regarding the continuation (dice interference), what is the rule that covers this? (not touching equipment when it's not your turn) Yes, it's not allowed. But how is the impropriety to be resolved?

Given that White isn't 100% free and clear (he could have waited to make sure opp had picked up his dice) I think a simple reroll by White is the solution to the interference. But obviously it's a judgment call on the part of the director.

BTW, this rule (about moving dice) is one I've always felt was unnecessary. Why do you ever need to move the dice before the roll is complete? It reminds me of the (obsolete) rule where you were allowed to roll on your LH side with permission of opp. This led to all kinds of disputes. The current rule (ALWAYS roll on the RH side) solved all of that.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.