[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Another NY Tourney Hitch/Ruling

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Sunday, 10 January 2010, at 9:35 p.m.

In Response To: Another NY Tourney Hitch/Ruling (Bill Riles)

Whether you play with one set of dice or two, a clock or not, you will always have problems if you do not have clearly written rules, with clear intent, and clear statements as to what happens if the rules are violated. We currently have many rules that are unclear, and we consistently have problems as a result of both players and tournament directors not being in agreement as to how to apply the rules and penalties.

In every game or sport where I have competed seriously, I have read the rules and generally understand exactly what is expected of myself and my opponents. In backgammon, unfortunately, that is not entirely true, and it has bothered me for years!

I have been arguing for better clarification of these points for MANY YEARS and have done so publicly, even publishing articles pointing out needless ambiguities in certain rules and I have recommended simple remedies, but they have gone on deaf ears.

As Neil said in an earlier post, these problems lead to disagreements and misunderstandings and hurt feelings that take away from the enjoyment of the game.

Hopefully, enough people will get tired of hearing these same problems over and over again and these same debates over and over again and will support revision of the rules that will eliminate most of the reoccurring problems. The new USBGF is forming a committee to look at the rules and make recommendations that hopefully will eliminate most of these gray areas, and I am optimistic that in the future most of these issues will disappear as a result.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.