[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Naccel 2 -- post #3

Posted By: Lucky Jim
Date: Monday, 11 January 2010, at 9:44 p.m.

In Response To: Naccel 2 -- post #3 (Nack Ballard)

I used some backgammon newsletters which do not have the pip count included to practice.

The following position comes from the January 2005 edition of the Hossier Backgammon Clun Newsletter – it looked straightforward for performing a Naccel count.

Position 1

Match to 7, Tied at 0-0
Blue on roll. Cube action?
White111

Blue194
Position Id: 2O0GBwCwWzAAOw
Match Id: UQngAAAAAAAA

Blue

I moved the two blue checkers back one pip each from the 23 point to the 24 therefore having 5 on the 24 point for a count of 15 (5 x 3). I moved two checker forward two pips from the 13 point to the 12 point giving a count of 2 (2 x1). The checkers on the 6 point are ignored and the checkers on the 5 and 7 point cancel each other out. This leaves the 8 point to be moved two pips to get it to the 6 point.

This gives Blue a Naccel count of 17(2)

White

The checkers on the white 6 point are ignored and all the checkers either side cancel each other out.

That leaves the three checkers on the 13 point which can be moved to the 12 point therefore giving a Naccel count of 3 (3) i.e (3 x 1) plus 3 pips

Position 2

Match to 7, Tied at 0-0
Blue on roll. Cube action?
White63

Blue139
Position Id: /O0WAAC23QAANg
Match Id: cAngAAAAAAAA

I was not however nearly so fortunate with position 2 which comes from the February 2005 edition of the Hossier Backgammon Club Newsletter.

Blue

Moving the two Blue checkers on the 23 point back one pip each to the 24 point gives gives a count of 12 (4 x 3).

6 points around the -3 point gives a count of -3 (i.e. the blue checkers with two each on the 2,3 and 4 point).

Giving a Naccel count so far of 12 -3 = 9

However at this point I got stuck – I realise I have to make adjustments for the pips I moved from the 23 point to the 24 point and I still have the checkers on blue’s 5 point to deal with but I was getting confused as to whether I should be adding or taking away.

As for White – I could not see how to start. I am stranded on the ice.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.