[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

NY ABT Prize concerns

Posted By: Steve Mellen
Date: Monday, 11 January 2010, at 9:49 p.m.

In Response To: NY ABT Prize concerns (neilkaz)

It sounds like you're saying you would be okay with them playing 9 places (4 main, 4 conso, 1 LC), but 10 is too much. That seems a bit fine-grained to me, and I don't think it makes a big difference either way. However, when a prize is barely more than the entry fee for the tournament itself ($400 entry + $200 side pool; 3/4C paid $695) arguably there's not much point in paying that place. I actually had someone offer to hedge with me in the Consolation money round, which seems moderately silly when the winner is only guaranteed the return of his entry fee.

I feel I deserve to be more famous for all the 3/4 Consolation and similar barely-existent prizes I have won in my backgammon career. Once upon a time in Vegas I finished in that spot in Vegas, and the director had for some reason decided to have the Calcutta pay the same number of places as the overall tournament. So for buying myself back in the Calcutta, I won the princely sum of $9.50. Howard Markowitz, saint that he is, handed me a $10 and said "Keep the change."

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.