[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

NY ABT Prize concerns

Posted By: Rich Munitz
Date: Monday, 11 January 2010, at 10:25 p.m.

In Response To: NY ABT Prize concerns (neilkaz)

"So in a 64 player event, I don't really mind if 3/4 Conso are paid, but I prefer not since those aren't large prizes anyhow. Alternately, I don't mind if 2nd LC is paid, but again that is a small prize."

For the purposes of playing devil's advocate...

These extra prizes are indeed small. So it is not really diverting much cash from the prize pool, and the tourney winner is not crying too hard because he only got $6200 instead of $6800. But for the few extra people who managed to come close to the big money and came away with something including 1.7 ABT points, it can mean a great deal. These might be people who would otherwise have a hard time cashing otherwise, and this can be a major boost and personal accomplishment for them. I know that this was Lynn's objective when structuring the payouts this way.

I personally prefer it the traditional way with fewer payouts, but I am a member of the small minority that manages to regularly reach the money rounds. Personal preferences aside, what is better for the game? And what "appeals to the most players"? I would wager that "most players" are the group that doesn't generally have a significant chance of earning prizes with the traditional structure. I don't mind such experimentation.

I agree that a 32 player JP should pay 4.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.